Tuesday, November 13, 2007

2007 Journal Quilt Artist Statement

Photo by Linda T. Minton, Houston TX

The Sky’s the Limit

Creative Quilting Techniques used: thread painting (p. 101), Caran, d’Arche watercolour crayons used for shading and detail( p. 14), and free motion quilting designs echoing shapes of quilt design (p. 237)

My participation in the 2007 Journal Quilt Project made me stop and think about my journey........from my beginnings as a “traditional” quilter to my current self-identification as a fibre artist who has learned to try whatever technique I think will suit the piece I am currently working on. Some pieces designed in the past only come to fruition as I learn the skills necessary to complete the image I have in my head (or even on paper).

This year, my journal quilt starts out “in the beginning” – a very traditional block in the centre. To honour my early work, I have carefully pieced the Snail’s Trail block.......... it spirals outward from the centre but comes back again. It is also a variation of Square in a Square block........... one of my favourites, but it also implies being bounded by traditional ideas. This centre block is also hand appliquéd onto the JQ and hand quilted.

Gradually I “blossomed” as I started to experiment with new techniques. The petals all come out from the centre, yet leave space to return to my roots and come out again. With every new skill learned, work takes on a new depth/dimension. I pay tribute to my years in the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia where the apple blossoms in the spring inspired me for years. As I continue to evolve and grow……….. THE SKY’S THE LIMIT. There are no borders or boundaries on my creativity anymore. This sky background is evocative of the endless Saskatchewan prairie skies of my youth, to which I’ve returned. The echoing, rippling outward quilting reminds me that one small ripple can lead to endless possibilities.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I love how you used the traditional block and the flower to represent your blossoming as an art quilter. You captured the concept beautifully.

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Louise,
It is good to hear your "voice" again! I am glad to hear you landed on your feet and I wish you all the best in your future plans. Your JQ is lovely!